University Fellows Program
The guidelines below apply to University Fellows Awards through the President’s Research and Scholarship Fund.
Each award provides the following:
- One course of reassigned time for one semester ($3200) or a $3,000 summer stipend
- a $500 travel/equipment grant from the PRSF
- a $500 matching travel/equipment grant from the nominating college or the Library
- All tenured or tenure-track faculty members with instructional responsibility are eligible to apply, including department chairs/directors/coordinators.
- Library Faculty are eligible to apply.
- Deans, Associate Deans, and other faculty members in full-time administrative roles are ineligible to apply.
- Lecturers, Clinical, and Visiting faculty members are ineligible to apply.
- Faculty members who receive the University Fellow award for two consecutive years must sit out one award cycle before reapplying.
- Disciplinary diversity of overall cohort of University Fellows
- Significance of the scholarship to the discipline(s) (interdisciplinary work accepted and encouraged)
- Clarity and coherence of the proposal, including a project plan and timeline
- Scholarly potential or productivity of the applicant
- Collaboration with undergraduate and graduate students, as feasible and appropriate
- Effect on faculty member’s teaching/contribution to the department
- Prospect for producing future research or grant proposals
- Plan for peer-reviewed publication, presentation, performance, or other distribution of the scholarly work
Applications with accompanying abbreviated CV (maximum of three pages), shall be submitted to Department Chair no later than March 20, 2017. Department Chairs will forward the applications to the Dean’s Office no later than March 27, 2017.* Each College will review and rank the applications (where Rank #1 is the most preferred application) and submit the rankings, along with the original forms, to Jerry Pogatshnik, Dean of the Graduate School and Associate Vice President for Research (Whitlock 310) by April 7, 2017. The Dean may decline to forward applications in cases of prior faculty misconduct or pending disciplinary processes involving an applicant.
The PRSF Committee** will review the College recommendations and make the final awards.
- Completed University Fellows Application Form, with narrative framed for a general audience (2-5 pages)
- Abbreviated CV of no more than 3 pages
*In the event that instructional responsibilities, disciplinary expertise, staffing shortages, and the lack of availability of qualified faculty members to cover the reassignment creates a hardship for the Department, the Chair shall append a memo articulating the hardship. In such cases, awards may be deferred for up to 2 years to allow the Department to develop plans to cover the instructional needs. In extreme cases and when deferral is not feasible, the PRSF Committee may recommend that a summer stipend be awarded in lieu of reassigned time. Because the purpose of the awards is to provide the time needed to engage in reflective, substantive intellectual work during the normal contract period, reassigned time is the preferred and expected form of award.
**Members of the PRSF Committee may not participate in college-level reviews of applications for the University Fellows Program.