Estimated Fringe Benefits Rates for FY 2020
While uncertainty remains, revised estimated fringe benefits rates for FY 2020 are now available. Effective immediately, the rates below must be used for all proposed budgets with salaries and wages to be paid for work performed on or after July 1, 2019.
- Faculty with 9-month appointments: 46.5%
- Staff with KTRS or ORP Retirement and Faculty with Extended Appointments: 46.5%
- Staff with KERS Retirement: 120.0%
- Staff with Hazardous Duty Retirement: 54.7%
- Retirement Transition Program Employees and Previous Retirees (part-time): 26.6%
- Part Time Employees without Benefits: 8.4%
- Students hired through Student Employment: 0.8%
Currently, these rates represent the University's best estimates for FY 2020. The final rates, particularly for KERS employees, may be higher or lower at the beginning of the fiscal year. All awarded sponsored projects will be charged the final rates, regardless of the rates budgeted. Budget revisions will be necessary for awards without a sufficient amount of funds allocated to cover benefits costs.
For projects that have been awarded or proposed using lower benefits rates for KERS employees, adjustments will be required once final benefits rates are available. Sponsored Programs will reach out to project directors for those awards to discuss appropriate actions.
If you expect to receive continuation funding for projects with awards that expire on June 30, 2019 and have not submitted proposed budgets for internal review, please do so as soon as possible. As a reminder, proposed budgets require University approval prior to being submitted to external agencies.
Published on April 24, 2019